Jaanikeste Village, also known as Jaanikõstõ (local pronunciation), is located in the western part of Räpina Rural Municipality, between the villages of Leevaku and Kassilaane. The village is been bordered by the Võhandu River to the west, the north, and the east. The village covers an area of 7.04 km2 (2.65 % of the total area of Räpina Rural Municipality). According to the Rural Municipality’s register there are 56 people living in the village (as of 1 August 2012). Approximately 20 households are in use all year round.
It is a historical fact that the original name of Jaanikeste Village was Rõsna. The village surely existed prior to the first written reference of its existence in 1582, when there were four farms and one mill in the village. The village has belonged to many different regions; e.g. in 1873 it was part of Friedholm (Rahumäe) Village. Later village names of Jaanikeste, Orava (Orava-Rõsna) and Punni were the names of farms in the 17th century.
Jaanikeste Village is known for the Punniküla Cave. The cave is located on the bank of the Võhandu River and it is nearly 20 meters deep, making it one of the deepest caves along the river. According to legends, the cave has been used as a refuge. The Kopra Holiday House is also located on the bank of the Võhandu River, in Jaanikeste Village. The holiday house can be rented for organising various events. Agriculture is also practiced in the village.